A group of young library professionals in Kerala, under the leadership of Sri.Stanly James Pradeepam, who is an eminent organizer and administrator (former Librarian, Kerala University Library, Thiruvananthapuram) met together and decided to form an organization called INSTITUTION OF LIBRARIANS AND INFORMATION SCIENTISTS and known by its acronym ILIS.
It was officially inaugurated on 17th July 2016 by Former UN Ambassador Dr. T.P Sreenivasan IFS, in the presence of ILIS Patron Prof.(Dr.) George Onakkoor ( The Malayalam Llitterateur & Former Professor, Mar Ivanios College, Thiruvananthapuram).
Dr. Rajesh Kumar (Member of Syndicate, University of Kerala) and Prof.(Dr.) Achuth Sankar S.Nair (Head, Department of Computational Biology and Bio-Informatics, University of Kerala) blessed the meeting.
The Founder of ILIS is Sri. Stanly James Pradeepam and he is the first President.
The first General Secretary was Dr. Asha and the Treasurer was Smt. Aswathy.
The founding principles of ILIS are:
- To increase the capability and efficiency of the professionals working in the area of LIS in kerala
- To increase job opportunities and job security for library professionals
- To provide professional support and training to our members.
- To enable the professionals for the competitive examinations by coaching classes.
- To provide occasions for professionals to publish articles.